Oil based cleansers are very popular in skincare, the logic is that Oil from the cleansers attract oil and dirt on your face and it all gets rinsed off when the oil becomes saponified (or turns to soap). Now if that can work wonders on your face, surely it can do the same for your Hair right?
Yes, this is the logic behind oil based shampoos. We all know how soft and smooth deep conditioning with coconut and olive oil can leave our hair, now think about that as a shampoo!
Oil-based shampoos contain oils that penetrate the hair shaft to help repair the internal structure of the hair while simultaneously cleansing it. They are a great solution for damaged hair that feels depleted, dry, brittle and weak. These shampoos are water-soluble, which means the oil doesn’t stay in the hair, and they don’t have silicones in them, which is what makes hair appear greasy and heavy. Oil-based shampoos are the ultimate luxury in hair care and can be used on all hair types, it is particularly recommended if you color or frequently chemically treat your hair.
What are some great Oil-based shampoos to try?
- L’Oreal OleoTherapy Oil Infused Shampoo
2. Keratase Bain Elixir Ultime
If you’ve got money to spend, you can try this pricier option. This intense nourishing shampoo contains the key technology of Oleo-Complexe which includes:
- Maize Oil: Delivers emollient and anti-oxidant active ingredients for ultimate shine
- Pracaxi Oil: Brings shine, nourishment and deep conditioning to the hair
- Camellia Oil: Helps smooth the hair fiber, resulting in incredible shine
- Argan Oil: Helps restore strength to the hair and protects it from external aggressors
Finally if you are all about the DIY, try this fun Oil based DIY Shampoo courtesy of WellnessMama:
What You’ll Need
- coconut milk
- Dr. Bronners Liquid Castille Soap
- Essential Oils of choice (can be peppermint, lavender, rosemary and orange or combinations of those)
Homemade Shampoo Ingredients:
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup Liquid Dr. Bronner’s Castille Soap
- 20 drops of Essential Oils of choice
- For dry hair: add ½ tsp olive or almond oil (optional)
Directions: Combine ingredients in an old shampoo bottle, shake well to mix and apply a teaspoon everytime you shampoo. Because of the coconut milk, use your mixture for only a month.