By Nneoma N.
Too tired to head out to the spa/salon? Living the fab life on a budget? Or are you tired of having too many bad encounters with commercial products?
Whatever your reasons, we’ve got you covered with 10 DIY recipes that are easy to make, easy on your skin and scalp, as well as pocket-friendly. Get your pen and paper and copy these recipes.
- SHINY YOGHURT MASK
If you’re looking for a solution to your dry brittle hair without further charges on your bank account, then look no further because this hair mask will restore shine to your hair.
What you’ll need:
- 1/2 cup yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 egg
- Whisk egg in a bowl until slightly frothy.
- Put in olive oil and continue to whisk.
- add in the yoghurt slowly and blend with a spoon. By now the mixture should be evenly mixed and without lumps.
- apply the mixture to your hair and leave for 20-30 minutes before washing off.
2.MOISTURIZING HAIR TREATMENT MASK.
Who needs a fancy hair mask when you have this treatment. Made with avocado which is a great hair moisturizer and honey which strengthens hair follicles, this hair mask packs quite a punch.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon honey.
- in a bowl mash avacado until it’s smooth.
- put in the honey,olive oil and blend.
- Wash hair with preferred shampoo and squeeze out excess water.
- massage the moisturizing mask on slightly damp hair.
- Cover hair with shower cap or steam cap. And leave-in for 30 minutes.
- Rinse out the mask and condition as usual.
VINEGAR AND BANANA ANTI-DANDRUFF MASK
This hair mask has proven effective against dandruff. Vinegar (one of the main ingredients) helps to get rid of dandruff as it restores the pH balance of the scalp,thereby inhibiting growth of yeast. Vinegar also acts as a great clarifier & declogs pores, while banana minimizes shrinkage and softens the hair.
2 cups vinegar and 1 banana.
-mix banana with 2 cups of vinegar & whisk until mixture is smooth. Massage the mixture into your scalp. Leave-in for twenty minutes to an hour. Hair should be covered with a steam cap, afterwards rinse hair and moisturize.
SHEA BUTTER HAIR MOISTURIZER.
To make this everyday hair moisturizer you’ll need:
Unrefined shea butter
2 cups coconut oil
2 cups Jamaican black castor oil
1.whip the shea butter,coconut oil& Jamaican black castor oil in a bowl until it forms info a smooth mixture. If you’re having problems with the thick consistency of the shea butter, you can melt it by puting it in a bowl and immersing the bowl in hot water.
- Pour the mixture into any available container or bowl and use daily
COCONUT OIL AND HONEY STRENGTHING HAIR CONDITIONER.
3 tablespoons coconut oil, 2 tablespoons honey.
- Put the coconut oil and honey in a bowl.
- Warm the mixture by placing the bowl in a pot of hot water.
- Pour the mixture onto slightly damp hair.
- Put on a steam cap and let the mixture sit in for 20-25 minutes.
- Rinse out.
- Style hair when dry.
BROWN SUGAR HONEY SCRUB
This exfoliator is ideal for those who want to get the best out of exfoliators without resorting to drugstore brands. It’s 100% effective, 100% cost free and smells 100 times better too. Indulge in this scrub from head to toe!!
Brown sugar, 2 tablespoons honey & a dash of lemon.
- Put the ingredients in a bowl and mix.
- Put it on your skin for a few minutes.
- Scrub your face in circular gentle motion. Then rinse off.
FRUITY FACIAL PEEL
Unripe papaya or paw-paw contains papain, natural enzymes and alpha-hydroxy acid that eliminate dead skin, pineapple has bromelin which removes the outer layer of the skin and honey soothes and revitalizes the skin. These ingredients when whipped together work as a gentle facial peel.
1 medium sized pineapple
3 tablespoons dark honey
1 medium sized unripe papaya
i.using an electric blender, blend the papaya and pineapple into a smooth paste
- Add 3 tablespoons of honey
- Using your ring finger apply the paste to your face and neck.
Caution: avoid eye area and other sensitive parts of your face.
- Leave mask on for 20-25 minutes and then rinse off.
- Be sure to moisturize.
AVOCADO AND HONEY FACIAL MASK.
Avocado and honey facial mask is an inexpensive great way to moisturize and clean out your pores especially if you have oily skin. The natural oils in avocado increases production of collagen, while honey drys the skin(in a good way) and soaks up impurities from your pores.
- 1.mash the avacado in a bowl until all lumps are gone.
- Put in your honey and mix.
- Wash your face, and apply the mask to your face and leave for 20 minutes.
- rinse and moisturize your face.
APPLE CINDER VINEGAR AND LEMON LIGHTENING MASK
When life gives you lemons-EXFOLIATE!
This is an all-natural way to lighten your skin tone without subjecting your skin to harsh chemicals in commercial bottles. ACV and lemon recipe used on the face has been found to effectively lighten darkened areas of your face.
Caution: avoid going out in the sun with this mask because of the citric acid in lemon which can burn the face when exposed to sunlight.
Ingredients: apple cinder vinegar (ACV) and lemon.
- Add a quarter teaspoon of ACV to a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice.
- Dip a cotton ball into the mixture and apply on your face.
- After 15 minutes, wash and rinse your face.
YOGHURT AND OATMEAL RECIPE
For instant skin glow, this recipe is all you need.
1/2 cup yoghurt
1 teaspoon lemon
1/4 cup oatmeal
- Mix yogurt and oatmeal in a bowl.
- Add the teaspoon of lemon.
- Apply the mixture on your face and neck.
- After 20 minutes, rinse and wash off.